Sunday, June 03, 2007

Walk Don't Run


During Grandma Colleen’s visit my San Francisco perception broadened. The mere introduction to Stow Lake and the Arboretum (fancy word for botanical garden) added spark to my day. My walks mostly entailed Crissy Fields, Fort Funston, or Land's End. Change is always good! Aunt Nyra is a total walkaholic and privy to San Francisco strolling spots. She swore me to secrecy when she permitted the concealed parking spot to the lake. All secrets at my disposal, I felt dangerous, yet special. Smile.

We - Grandma Colleen, Jill, Aunt Nyra and Hunter- strolled a couple laps around the manmade lake. It was my first step to shaking this heavy thing called weight. It felt great to take in the fresh morning air amongst the fellow strollers. An onlooker was shaken up by a defenseless baby duck that was ravaged by a seagull. Honestly, I was more befuddled by the seagull being in Golden Gate park. Aunt Nyra in all her blessed sensitivity dismissed it as nature than later regretted her frank, but honest remark. If you had seen the cute ducklings innocently scaling the serene lake you too would sling shot the next seagull that crossed your path.

Aunt Nyra proceeded to navigate the group to the short cut that led to a flight of stairs and gradually opened to a path, leading to the DeYoung Museum as well as the botanical gardens. We had lunch at the museum and than ventured into the wild gardens. As small as it seems from the outside, the Arboretum is grand. I was never big into gardens until today. Wowza! It is an agricultural nerds wet dream! If not educational, certainly stunning! Paths cross into different areas that represent a region of the world’s and it’s indigenous plants. Aunt Nyra was in desperate search for the varietals of succulence, instead we dodged sprinklers like land mines. We opted to return back to the lake for more ass whipping workout.

Today, I am inspired. I was struck by the tranquility of the trees and the lake. I was overwhelmed by the animal life like the tiny turtles that nonchalantly sunbathed on the lonely log and the ducklings that waddled behind momma duck. I was amazed by the stoic crane that majestically stood alone in nature. I chuckled at the families that exhaustingly paddled the boats with no end in sight. Mostly, I was consumed by the joy that it was Hunter’s first time in Golden Gate park. A big shout out to my Aunt Nyra, Jill, and Grandma Colleen, "Thanks for a wonderful day!"

This is Shellie with not one dull moment to my name back to you Bob at the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment