Thursday, May 22, 2008

False Confession


Shellie: Bless me father for I have sinned. It has been a week, since my last confession.

The sky closes in blackness

Priest: What have you done my daughter?

Shellie: I am guilty of for the sake of being guilty. I am guilty for not cleansing my son from mortal sin. I am guilty for not fulfilling my duties as a wife to my loving husband. I am guilty for having such filthy thoughts. My mind, father it wonders. I am guilty of pious treason.

Lightning and Thunder clang and clash


Catholic Priest: You have sinned against almighty god.

Marking the sign of the cross with rosary in hand

Catholic Priest: You must say two our fathers and six hail marys. Now go in peace my child.

Shellie bows her head and finishes her act of contrition and makes her way to the pews. As she kneels she repents and seeks forgiveness from god, the holy mary, and the holy trinity. She quickly makes her way out of the church steps to the parking lot.

Shellie: Suwheet, I should be good for a week!
(under her breath)
The sky cracks open with sunshine. Orchestra start William Tell's Overture




I don’t think the participants of a breakup in a relationship, never take into consideration the people that will be hit by the separation. It was a shocker to discover that two really good friends of mine have taken the high road.

“But what about Hunter?” I was despondent with Anthony on my cell. I was an athiest, but concerned about their duties as the god parents to Hunter. I love the idea of my son having god parents, but not so into the baptism aspect.
“I really wasn’t thinking about that when this happened.” He stomped on my selfishness and lack of connection to his forlorn diatribe.
“Yep.” I was silent. I had two left feet when it came to dancing with a dude’s broken emotions. It’s a whole different groove when it comes to a male. On the phone, I was stumped.

After speaking with Anthony, I had made up my mind and was singed with Vanessa. I should’ve stopped right there and not played victim to the fiddle. Stop right there. That’s where the foundation cracks and the gaping hole gives in. Who the hell am I? I am just a listener so I should do just that. Instead, my hormone estrogen pumped veins took no safety. I immediately put Vanessa in a cardboard box and shoved her six feet under so her screams were faint.

I received an email from her a few days later, hoping the split didn’t effect our friendship. After hearing Anthony’s saga, I felt slightly cheated and betrayed. How could she be so negligent and cruel? I responded to her email with a light dust of fresh brutal honesty. I recalled my psychology professor’s rule of advice when it came to listening, ‘objectivity’ judgment based uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices. I lacked objectivity.

Needless to say, I bashed someone’s feelings. Regardless, she is a friend. I was caught in a web of “he said, she did” and visa versa. I should’ve remained neutral, but my emotions stepped into the defensive. I am embarrassed.

Anthony and Vanessa are really strikingly good people. So it didn’t work out? Does that mean that one must perish in excommunication? Nah, that’s bullshit. I extended an olive branch to Vanessa and professed my friendship and as a friend, “I am committed to honesty.” Here’s to wisdom (behaving accordingly) and to life long and fruitful friendships.

“Love” well that’s everyman for himself. Sink or swim.

This is Shellie capsized in an alligator infested moat back to you Bob at the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment