Sunday, July 13, 2008

Centered


I plopped Hunter down on the carpet as Bach chimed in surround sound. The twins stared up at me than returned to their building blocks. I’ve been accustomed to Hunter clinging for the life of abandonment, but today he joined the others in play. He crawled through the pile of building blocks and continued to build. I looked at the teacher and shrugged, “I guess he’s over it.” Naturally, I was sullen as I was quickly put on a mantle. At least, he wasn’t wailing for his mom. I kissed him good bye.

I returned from work and witnessed his long stand off. He stood there hands free next to Taylor. They both stood there amongst a sea of wooden alphabet blocks. He was upright with no apparent knee buckling. He looked over at and gave me one of his smiles, “Oh my god he’s standing!” “I wanted you to see for yourself,” Bernadette smiled under her glasses. “Wow!” I replied to Bernadette. I’ve seen him stand, but not for so long without any thing to catch his fall. It was an adventure with his new tricks. It took a few minutes for him to warm up to me. That was fine, I’m sure the pressure was on with his little daycare cronies. He didn’t want to seem like a mamas boy. Good boy! It’s the end of the second week of Hunter’s new found daycare. Hunter’s adapting pretty nicely.

The coddle one-to-one childcare is faded. I'm over it. It's funny...how reality trumps my expectations! In the back of my mind, I always thought I'd raise my family on the rural outskirts of Oahu where the sugarcane meets the shore. Rural enough for my child to roam the countryside and sea from morning to sunset. Instead, I settled for San Francisco where the rolling hills meet the Pacific bay. This cosmpolitan bubble has it's quirks like aggressive child philosophy pragmatics. I had different expectations in regards to raising my family. It's not so bad. I can deal. All in all, I can't dwell on expectations, but I can make the most of where I am. Today, I am centered, hence content with life; I can live anywhere.

This is Shellie saying, "to play or not to play, that is the question," back to you Bob at the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment