Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Nanny No How


It has been a week, since my nanny mishap. I am more productive now that I'm nannyless. Thus, I’m busier, but such is life.

As the sunshine slowly tips it’s toes into our home, the gentle sounds of Hunter playing with his stuffed animals fills the room. Shane makes his way downstairs at the crack of Hunter’s cries which usually involves a diaper fiasco. I follow his lead soon after his reflexes give way to clamorous gagging from Hunter’s innocent excrement. I find a good healthy chuckle in his diaper disposition.

I unlock the back door so Oliver and Chloe can do their doggy duties in their toilet which I recalled used to be our backyard that was free of canine urine and feces. I start the water for our breakfast cereal. Hunter finds the closet door stopper more entertaining than his room full of toys. In the wake of the nanny’s absence, I discover that the kitchen and the floor are not self-cleaning entities. I wash Hunter’s hands and place him in his high chair for his quick breakfast nosh of fresh fruit and fig bars. He dances in his seat to the songs of Jack’s Big Music Show on Noggin. Meanwhile, Shane and I sing a long as we clean the room.

Shane finishes the warm breakfast cereal with honey, almond slivers, and currants. I’m groomed and ready to tackle the big task; outfit. Six changes and 15 minutes later, my outfit a la mode is complete. I not so meticulously make the bed before heading down. The clock ticks eight o’clock and Hunter remains in his pajamas. Shane and I share an understanding when it comes to dressing our son. If I’m running behind, he compensates for my inefficiency. Visa Versa. Today Shane is losing time by dropping science. I put him in shorts and a Marley t-shirt, “Shoes, shoes! What shoes go with this wretched outfit?” I scoured the mountain of heels that is my closet. “You know you should really organize that,” Shane done with his science project thought his two cents would make a difference. Ironically, my red Kenneth Cole sandals were absent from the heel pile. My banal outfit too monotone for words, required a splash of color. Sometimes one must give in to fate, hence I wore black wedges. Pedestrian.

I have Hunter in my left arm. I struggle to untangle the diaper bag strap, hence forgetting I had a gripfull of milk, I spilled it eloquently over my outfit. The breeze blew my hair in a direction that was cumbersome. I entered the daycare to the sound of music. Hunter was on to me as he grasped tight to my calves. His cries become loud and brash. His clingy behavior just came on like a summer fever, I wasn’t sure if it was an age thing or a day care thing. Whatever it was, it was going to make me late. I held him for a few minutes and dashed out the door to the sound of his screams. My heart sunk deep into my chest as I turned the ignition and pressed the gas. I briskly walked to the bart station. Note to self: wedges good for looks, not for walking.


It’s half past five o’clock when I enter the daycare. I observe him playing with his fellow friends. He is up on two legs and pushing a cart while laughing. My soul is rich. He is gentle. He laughs. He smiles. Serenity, that peaceful feeling over came me like when I lay afloat for hours looking up at the blue sky as I was cradled in the warm hawaiian ocean as a child. “He is such a good kid, really well mannered.” Bernadette whispers, “they went to the park today and played for an hour and a half and he took a two hour nap. I’ve watched many kids and he is a fine child.” I am a modest mom. Her compliments ease my heart and silence my guilt.

Today he is fourteen months. Fourteen months, it's not a year and it's not a year and a half. Every day is just as significant as the day he was born. I thank my lucky stars. I thank the karma gods. I am blessed. I scoop him into my arms as he enriches me with a hug and a giggle. We drive back on S280 as Beulah celebrates through the speakers. Through my rear view mirror, he taps his feet to the melody of my heart that is happiness.

This is Shellie bliss rules all back to you Bob at the studio!

No comments:

Post a Comment