Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Grand


I grew up with my Lola (grandma). She was my surrogate mom when mom charged family responsibilities like restoring unity within the household and my nine siblings. As I always fought for mom’s attention, she was grossly engaged with limitless duties. Thus, afternoon naps with Lola was always my favorite time of day. I’d lay in bed as she stroked my hair and spoke in her native tongue something about good behavior and heaven. As one of the youngest siblings, attention was as common as monkeys flying out of a buffalo's butt. Lola was an angel, because she knew how to make me feel special like I was the only one, and for a child that was attention deficient it was a dancing monkey on a stick. Although what made her the best Lola was that she did that for all my siblings.

Today, it's rare to find a Lola within arms reach much less the same hemisphere. Unfortunately, Hunter is conveniently part of this population. I've mentioned to mom that she had an open ended invitation to our home as she has the availability to travel anywhere in the world for free, thanks to my brother who is an engineer for United. Nonetheless, her life is in Hawaii with her children and grand children. Alternately, we could always relocate to Hawaii the sun, sand, and family. (It would be part of my aforementioned "change" program.)

Recently, Grandma Kitchen made a surprise visit from New York so Shane could whisk me away for my birthday. She embellished Hunter with attention and love just like Lola did when I was a child. As Hunter can run the mightiest man down to the ground with his undying energy, she did her best to keep up. What a treat! By the time we returned from our trip, Grandma Kitchen had enriched Hunter's life. A connection had been established, and I couldn't be more thrilled.

It reminded of the importance of family and the cohesiveness that binds us. Lola has long passed, but I know for the short time she spent with me, I carry her in my locket of a heart. For as important it is to be raised by both parents, the same applies for Lolas. More than ever, I can preface the fortune of my siblings in Hawaii is no less than golden and no more than priceless. Bastards.

This is Shellie claiming Grandma’s rule the world back to you Bob at the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment