Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How Much is that Puppy in the Window



In the wake of mother nature’s bowel movements, California’s continuous earthquakes and Haiti’s flattened and devestated. It frightens me that my office is nineteen stories high in the town of tremor. It's pretty scary stuff and a topic that weighs heavy in my chest. Well, now that I have two beautiful kids and a wonderful husband, I treasure my life more then ever.

Still, I can’t live my life in constant fear. Listen I was born into a draconian Roman Catholic household. My home peppered with a varietal of statues of saints, virgins, jesus, baby jesus, bloody jesus nailed to a cross. Gulp. Growing up I was under twenty four hours of religious surveillance, preparing for the end of the world. When I meet Saint Peter, heaven's glorified door man, I hope he would let me into Club Heaven and direct me to the VIP section with unlimited bottled service. Alas, mass therapy and decades later, I've kicked my guilty habit. I know a thing or two about damnation, destruction, hell stone, and brimfire. My kind apologies to my family and friends who remain under the thumb of the holy trinity. You gotta do, what you gotta do.

In essence, my heart and thoughts go out to the people, families, and nation that is Haiti.



On to brighter, not so bleak, yet somewhat interesting subject, urine. Yes, you read right, urine. Father’s day 2009, I decided to throw caution to the wind and adopt Oliver, original name Sherman, from the SPCA. Against the SPCA counselor's advisement, “Perhaps certain dogs are meant to be alone. Did you ever think of that?” the counseling session wasn’t going as expected. There was another family, that wanted dibs on Sherman. This I gathered from sitting in the waiting room with the other excitable candidates. Originally we were gung ho about Grover, a cool unknown breed with a peculiar brow, sporting a turtle neck sweater with an intelligently coquettish sway. He was the Sherlock Holmes of the canine club. Well, he was snatched before I could spell impulsive.

Sherman was down for Chloe, this was evident by the badgering and butt sniffing. On the contrary, Chloe wasn’t down with Sherman; she sheepishly wanted nothing to do with his anus. As a female, I concur. I understand. "Well don't you think they'll eventually get along?" I thought. Naturally, why wouldn't they? The family of four in the waiting room was in for a disappointment. I was a mere steps away to closing the adoption.

Chloe, our bichon frisee, was lonely without our company so we thought we’d be a pal, and get her a pal. Besides, she was a frigid little fluff that was afraid of her own shadow, literally. Another infant and a year later, I’m questioning my decision. First of all, we have no idea of Oliver’s, formally known as Sherman, background. It's not always the case when rescuing a dog. All I’m certain of is that he can clear jump over anything, like we’re talking equestrian and shit. On top of his super vaulting prowess, he can run like a habanero fueled cheetah. Sir Oliver is whipped with a fury of vim that can make an old man do the shimmy shack shake. I’d like to think that he’s an aggressive blend of Chihuahua with a hint of miniature italian pinscher. My husband tells everyone, "He's whippet Chihuahua mix for sure."

Either way, he requires the mystical assistance of the “Dog Whisperer.” I’ve seen the television show twice and he’s bone down amazing. Essentially, it all winds down to the owners, the masters, if you will. We entered into the commitment with the brilliance that the dogs would play in our backyard during work. Oliver clears up and over the enclosed deck, scurries down the backside of the hill and goes on an adventurous fury, harassing pedestrians and yapping at his fellow dogleagues. Did I mention that deck was built by Shane in two days, specifically to keep Oliver in.


On this specific day, Stevie was newborn and Hunter wasn't in daycare, a friend stopped by with a care package for the baby. At the crack of the front door, Oliver made past the prison walls dashed straight into street traffic. Stevie wailed as Hunter screamed, "Oliver, momma Oliver!" What do I do? I can't leave the babies? Ironically, straight out fiction, there were four police cars each at opposing four way stop. Oliver weaved and dodged traffic, barked at pedestrians. I was embarrassed on top of furious. "Lady please keep your dog on a leash," the bullhorn blared from one of the cops cars as the other policemen chuckled at my despair. There I stood barefoot in my pajama bottoms and white t-shirt, "Here Oliver, come on boy, Oliver please come here." Oh, Sir Oliver, if I could only get my hands on you. The men that swore to Serve and Protect, Sat and Chuckled. Sir Oliver, I should rename Judas, possessed not a smudge of loyalty in that little body. He simply took off like the wind and returned thirty minutes later.

These days, I simply leave the backdoor ajar and patiently await his return. He's swift with no regard to his Lords and Masters. Marking his territory on our bed, now there was a new one. I’m not a dog psychic, but I think Oliver's unhappy, if not livid. I get it. I'm just glad he didn't paint a picture on our comforter, substituting acrylic with feces. Sir Oliver is unable to exert all the genetic wattage, as he is best behaved when given a good run, free of leash; freedom. Sadly we're unable to accommodate him with the daily leisure. To be straight, two kids and two dogs, we can't afford to walk him daily period.

In light of his great urination, it was the great crate highway for Sir Oliver. Readers I do not advise utilizing the crate as punishment for your animals. The dog need not associate the crate with punishment. Sir Oliver cried the entire night. I wanted to cry the entire night. No sleep. If it’s not the kids, it’s the dogs. If it's not the dogs, it's the kids or sometimes my drunk husband. I'm embracing my chaos to allow for harmony to enter. Tonight I will tackle the matter at hand. Sir Oliver will get his first walk to make up for long neglect.

To set the record straight, I really should’ve gotten one of those coin purse sized dogs that I could just tote around in a designer handbag. So here I am, wearing myself thinner which, unfortunately, isn’t equivalent to my physical stature. I’m hoping that this dog walking, may contribute to launch my weight loss and minimize the indoor dog made pool.

Yes, I think I just dedicated the entire entry to my dog, Sir Oliver. Pathetic.

This is Shellie from the top of Potrero Hill with my hind leg up, “here’s to marking my territory” back to you Bob at the studio.

5 comments:

  1. 2 kids 2 dogs crazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank the FoodieJanuary 15, 2010

    Haiti needs a prayer thanks for acknowledging the disaster your hilarious!!! Keep writing and sir oliver behave

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol great urination you did dedicate the post to a dog woof to you hotness

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can mark your territory on me anytime

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bettie StonerJanuary 15, 2010

    admire your writing funny as shit...show more love to oliver

    ReplyDelete