Monday, February 19, 2007

Birthtastic


My three day weekend was complete with baby information overload. Shane and I enrolled in a 2 day baby intensive class over at Natural Resources. Boy, were we in for a surprise. Shane grumbled about how spectacularly beautiful the day was and here we were stuck in a birth class full of neo natural nerds. I knew in the frontal cortex of his brain that he'd rather be sipping a brew on some golf course, if I’d guess correctly Stonetree with his boys. Humph, and I’d rather be on a beach in the Cayman Islands; so in love, we suffer together. Our friend Tracy, doula extraordinaire, taught the class. We went around the room of six couples and introduced the other couple that we were interactively paired off with. Let the fun begin. Smile.

As Tracy, in all her wealth of information, played real birth videos, compliments of nausea, my spine curled into the chair. Yikes and triple axel yikes! Hold the caffeine, because here cometh the placenta! What the hell? Gulp. I gulped so hard, I thought my eyeballs were going to evaporate into my head. As I've mentioned the shrinking idea of romanticism and pregnancy, birth was the mother load of all “Oh shits!” A whole new world cracked opened before me. I knew it wouldn’t be walk in the park, but gosh darn up an apple tree, birth was blatant. I was bullets loaded on getting an epidural, yet reality struck me down like a storm of flatulence. A cesarean? Not, if I can help it. Did you know when a child is not passed vaginally the newborn’s immune system is vulnerably pedestrian? Water birth, now that’s a Water world for mom and baby -despite the fecal matter- I believe I was sold.

Shellie’s Proverb: A dog’s sincerity is his sniff.

Essentially, the class provided valuable information pertaining to birthing alternatives. It also allowed us to prepare and to expect. Birth is one big bad wolf. I am all about taking the easy way out so shoot me up with the narcotics and let this baby go. Until I attend this class, needless to say, I'm weighing my options, and boy is it heavy. Am I strong enough to do this drug free? As Kitchstar is sprinting its way to the finishing line, I've got some decisions to make. Let’s face it, I’m a real frightster, but deep down inside this little shell of mine, I am strong. I have proven myself time and time again that my determination supersedes my fear. Besides, I have the greatest person in the whole world there to support me. My sweet husband.

Lesson: A strong grasshopper must balance on chopstick to feel balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment