Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hearthrob


Today is Valentines Day. The day most men dread more than facing the deathly jaws of a great white shark. Basically, Doomsday to be exact. As every women relates Valentines day as "their" day, I've given into the opposite. In the past few years, I've become numb to the fact that Shane doesn't bring home flowers on such an occassion. According to him, and every other male, it's too forced. To keep my spirits high I'll, more often than never, purchase flowers for myself. Maybe my husband is right...we shouldn't be prompted to be romantic just because it's Valentines day. We're pretty cheesy most of the time as it is. It could make an elephant sick. Blush. I've decided to take matters into my own hands.

Today, I've opted for a movie over dinner. There's nothing special about a pre-fixe menu. All I want is to see the new chick flick with my favorite heart throb Hugh Grant in Music and Lyrics. Opening night is tonight and I purchased the tickets yesterday compliments of Fandango. Because he is being coerced to attend a movie on opening night, his efforts are my bliss.

Shellie's Proverb: A man with too many roosters doesn't know how to lay an egg.


Now for my contribution to the romance department. I thought about getting him something nice like clothes, shoes, or a hat, although that was as heartfelt as a bathroom carpet. I had already bought his Valentines day card last month, but what now? Shane has a sweet tooth the size of the original sin. In fact, last night he slopped a few heaping tablespoonfuls of peanut butter and swirled it into his vanilla bean haagen dazs and plopped on the chaise lounge and "ooed and awed" and swooned over every taste. He held the spoon to my face to tryst me into a tiny bite of this heavenly morsel. The devil that he is! He is the devil. I'm sure he meant no harm, but I can't even afford to do the foxtrot with chocolate.

With that in mind, I traipsed down to the Ferry building and purchased a box of selected Recchutti chocolates yesterday. All filled with his favorites, peanut butter chocolate pucks, chocolate honey comb, a bag of caramel almonds, home made marshmallows (to die for!!). I knew he would appreciate this sweet gesture. Before I left this morning, I left the card and the sweets on the table. Despite my minimal hormonal tearful breakdown last night in bed, it was a sign of love and maturity. Most of all, it is his happiness that rules my heart.

Lesson: A Grasshopper that learns to share his dim sum will master the way of kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment