Monday, April 09, 2007

Hope


As I dosed off to the beat of Kitchstar's heartrate, an abrupt loud clang and screaming shook me from relaxation. If they were trying to escalate my stress level well they did a good job. What the hell was that? The screaming became more apparent and stronger suddenly followed with the wailing of a baby. I turned to the nurse, "Was that just a baby crying?" "Yes, a baby was just born." She smiled and went back to her paper work. The crying of the newborn continued down the hall of the labor and delivery room. My heart throbbed warm and large. There was something in that moment that took me closer to my fate. I felt lucky somehow. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to share this experience with the faceless woman down the hall. How special that these nurses experience this on the daily. I wonder if they take it for granted. Or did they find each birth unique, different and just as moving. My comrade had joined forces of the new mothers and here I am on the outskirts of their fellowship.

Shellie's Proverb: A man that doesn't make water is usually shriveled and dry.

As I basked in the sound of the newborn's crying, it softly hit me that I would be there soon. That would soon be Shane and me! Shane and I would be in one of these rooms fiercely laboring to get the baby out. It put all my anxieties and fears to rest knowing that there was light at the end of the tunnel. All the doctor's appointments, prenatal massages, acupuncture, exercising and monitoring of the baby circumferenced the arrival of Kitchstar.

As the days and nights mesh into one big glob, I count the days to that shining moment.

Lesson: A wise grasshopper must never take oxygen for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment