Friday, March 30, 2007

Rock the Cradle


As we anticipate the arrival of Kitchstar, we keep busy by putting the finishing touches on the nursery. We are so thrilled of the arrival of little Kitch. Shane has been very helpful by putting all the baby gear together, but when it comes to talking to my belly he's as interested as a dog pissing on a log. My ever growing belly is not tangible enough. Freak. I am at the 35 week mark. Eek! Occasionally, more frequently, as I relax in a hot shower, my knees weaken and my heart races at the thought of pushing Kitchstar out of my v-canal. Shit! I close my eyes and hope my meditated magic, a repetitive "Ohm," will diffuse my anxiety.

Other than that, everything is tip top. I've succumbed to co-exist with my gestational diabetes. I mean I could whine, sob, and play my pity soliloquy, but why? I've acclimated to the pre-meal insulin that enters my blood system by injection via the stomach. Don't worry, I'll take it out on Kitchstar in the future giggle. In addition, I'm undergoing stress tests to make sure Kitchstar is actively moving and ultra sound to gauge the fluid around the baby twice a week. I'm in great hands.

Shellie’s Proverb: A candle with no wick is pure wax.

Besides, I've been pampering myself weekly with visits to the acupuncturist and prenatal massage. The constant daily advice is to practice squatting. Yes, squat...this allows the baby's head to drop and it allows my pelvic floor to stretch and strengthen. A little graphic, but you get the gist. It's been predicted that the baby may come early. If not, the doctors will induce on my due date. Starting my 36th week, I will start a gradual dose of primrose and herbs to start the ripening of my cervix. Ripening? Ripening. Believe me, nobody wants to induce, if the cervix is not ripened. An unripened cervix is like sawing through a slab concrete with a plastic knife. Painful.

Lastly, we need to coordinate a birth plan, a specific schematic of preference during labor. Back in the day, women just squirted babies out. This day and age, there’s so many choices and alternatives to consider that it could make an old man sterile. A birth plan consists of instructions and preferences for the doctors and midwives to follow ranging from labor positions to pain relief to cord cutting to unexpected labor events. Do you know how many selective cesarean incisions there are? Exactly, knowledge, knowledge, knowledge.

May is immediately around the corner and we’re ecstatic! As the last days of our anti-parenting moments come to a close, we thrive in the threshold. A new chapter. The Kitchens will soon embark on the shores of parenthood. We can’t wait for the arrival of Kitchstar so let the lack of sleep, logic, sex, and consciousness begin!

Lesson: A wise grasshopper must have all the ingredients to make chop suey.

No comments:

Post a Comment