Saturday, September 23, 2006

Ruff Love

Just when I thought I couldn't be any more delighted with life, enters another morsel of sweetness. We’re proud parents of a Pooch de` Pooch. A Bichon to be precise. How did she land in our laps? To be brief, I thought I could be a decent human by saving a woman from losing custody of her child to her crummy ex-husband at the same time save this canine from a kennel. We’ve weeded through names like snowball, eight ball, frisée (curly in french). Shane finally clawed his talon down on my absurdity, “Chloe’s her name.” It's just as well as I didn't want to dent Shane's manhood, regardless of how comfortable any heterosexual man is, walking a cotton ball of a dog with a name that reeks fairy dust would be hostile.

She's 3 months old and as sweet as Christmas morning. We were instructed to crate train her. Shane begged to differ, "What's the use in having a dog, if you have to keep her in a cage. It's preposterous!” Chloe has spent her first night in that crate, since her arrival in our home. She now slumbers silently in the billow of our Donna Karan down comforter. Gulp.

I've taken her long walks and not one peep of urine or one plop of poop. Yesterday her bathroom activity at the park was as apparent as carbon monoxide. What gives?

Shellie’s Proverb: Patience does not grow on trees.

I felt quite juxed as she wasn’t house broken. She’s as accidental as Hiroshima. Her accidents come with punishment, but with my punishment comes Shane’s leniency, “You can’t keep her in the backyard that long, it’s too cold for her out there.” It was in that very precise moment, that very minute second that I knew what kind of father he would be. Shane was sweet and loving; a definite push over. He had a soft spot. A sucker. I, on the other hand, would be perceived as the wicked wart of a mother. Ugh.

I hope that Chloe will come around and understand that the outdoors is her toilet. We have come to adore her. As my belly grows, I'm thrilled that I have a pint sized treasure that will be also growing alongside me. Here's to the future.

Lesson: Young Grasshopper must remember that without bread one cannot have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment