Wednesday, May 09, 2007

It's a Boy!
Hunter Styles Kitchen


As the baby lay on my chest, the room glowed with hugs and congratulations. “Hey guys, what is it? The gender?” Everyone laughed, “Wha? You didn't hear? It’s a boy!” I knew it! I silently wished for a boy as I thought it would only be fit, if our future children had a big brother to look up to. I mean we were content on any gender, but secretly I wanted a boy. Smile.

I stated in my birth plan that Shane catch the baby…that didn’t happen, as his confidence in playing catcher was as large as a wheat germ, yet he did participate in the cutting of the umbilical. For a split second there, I witnessed tears from my sweet husband, but not soon enough because he was back on his cell phone making calls to his family and friends telling stories of exhaustion and hardship which made the nurses burst into laughter. He relived the experience as if he was the one that gave birth.

I will relieve you of all after birth details which entailed stitches, cussing, pushing, numbing, and placenta. Gulp. Exactly, that’s all you need to know.

He weighed in at 6 lbs 11 oz and 19 inches long. I scuff at you doctors who were certain the baby would be the size of a galloping watermelon due to the gestational diabetes. He was healthy. I was happy. Shane was happy. The sun kissed the window outside, but there was nothing brighter than our beautiful newborn boy.

This is Shellie wishing I could bottle this exhilarating moment back to you Bob at the Studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment