Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Let the Games Begin


I was scheduled for an induction on Monday. As there has been an abnormal wave of births at St. Luke’s my abduction has been pushed back five days. If I have any say in the future and it is this…just say no to inductions. Yikes! I was confined to the bed and 18 hours later, a good deal of morphine, 4 cervix checks later, my water broke. Break it did! “Pop!” It was a sound that produced a gush of liquid from between my legs. My eyes widened as I instantly screeched, “My water broke!” Shane’s been on his cell to the outside world conveying the play by play to friends and family. The ball was rolling and I had Shane and my two sisters at my side. I was a bit guilty as they had taken time off to be at my side and a day was wasted on ripening my cervix.

Pitocin. Oh thy vile inducer! My veins pumped that poison to regulate contractions and with every contraction, preceded water. I was a sloppy mess. Furthermore, my contractions began to quicken and with that quicken came lower back pain. Coercing my body to produce this baby was unnatural. At the same time, I was relieved as the last week had born subtle stretch marks on my lower belly. Ah, the vanity. Smile.

The lower back pain increased and finally, I pleaded for an epiduro. All I remember was carefully being instructed to curl my spine so the anesthesiologist insert the needle into my spine. Upon future contractions, I was to keep silent and still during the procedure. Shane, my crutch, assisted me in this process. In the midst of the procedure, I could feel the pang of a contraction beginning to unfold …so I stuttered, “a contraction is starting.” “Just breathe with me.” Shane instructed, “Look into my eyes and just breathe with me.” Meanwhile, Shane went pale, if I didn’t know any better I think he was on the verge of fainting. Following the procedure, he admitted the sight of blood shooting from my spine made him ill. It was over in five minutes. The magic drug was in full play. Praise god! Praise the lord! Praise! Praise.

I was perfect now. I felt great! I went back to bed! I felt heavenly. Ten o’clock rolled around and another cervix check later and I was 8 centimeters. It was time to push.

This is Shellie scared poopless to push back to you Bob at the Studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment