Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day


It was early morning and the sunlight burst softly through our orange curtains displaying a beautiful hue on our bed. There she was, Chloe licked Hunter's head. I shook Shane to witness the new phenomena. We were reluctant to have Chloe in bed with us, but we couldn't kick her out of bed. C'mon, we didn't want her to despise Hunter. It was a beautiful moment. It had only been his second day home, he was only five days old, and life was cohesive.

Today is Mothers Day. I recovered from my birth experience pretty swift. Well, to say the least, I could walk. Plus, the swelling downtown was non existent. We were committed to attend Mothers Day over Joel and Maxine's. They were throwing a party to introduce Hunter to our great group of friends. As much as I felt fine when I agreed to attend the party, I could easily retract and spend the day in bed. Any normal new mother would have thrown a fit and chose the latter. I know it is insane to consider attending an event, considering that Hunter's only five days old and we've only been home from the hospital in two days. Besides, I didn't feel pretty nor fit to be seen by friends. I could spit on those female celebrities that make motherhood look so unrealistic with their perfect hair, face, weight, and abdominals. I curse you Brooke Burke most of all. Sorry for the tangent, but I thought I would feel better if I shout it out. Ugh and my legs! Oh the agony, my ankles were swollen. Bloated. Water retention. I had pigs feet!

Thankfully, they lived a block away from home. We strolled over with the new bugaboo. Meow did we feel fancy! Joel and Maxine really know how to throw a bash. I was beside myself. The Bleskacecks (I think I just mangled their name, my apologies) are very generous and warm hearted family. I can say that from the bottom of my heart. Maxine, mother of two, had prepared such a beautiful spread. A gourmet feast! Meanwhile, their kitchen looked like someting out of Martha Stewart magazine. Her dining table was beautifully decorated with several uber-gourmet dishes all home made like her fritatta, cupcakes, garbanzo salad, a barbecue platter that just would not run empty! We were greeted with excited smiles and big hugs from everyone. Hunter was being passed around like a bottle of good wine as I narrarated my birth triumph while sipping an endless glass of roset.

The party finished in the living room as the Golden State Warriors were in the playoffs. The last time they were in the playoffs the Osmonds had a tv show. I wasn't sure. Hunter slept through four quarters of screaming and yelling at mind blowing decibels. It was the first time I witnessed that my son was apt to noise! My plan had worked. During my pregnancy, I deliberately blared music at ear bleeding levels so he would comply to it in the real world. He was lull to noise. I just didn't want to be that mom that always "shussh" and tip toe. That is annoying!

I tucked Hunter in bed. I watched his little chest rise and fall. Shane had also gone to bed. My life was brand new. A second chance. It was fantastic! Like breathing fresh air. Motherhood was a dream. I am in love with Hunter. I am in love with Shane. I am in love with life. Happy Mothers Day to you all.

This is Shellie from the height of my soul back to you Bob at the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment