Friday, April 04, 2008

T is for "Therapy!"


I used to be this somewhat polished party girl who loved going to bars, sipping from a pint glass of cazadore margarita on the rocks, hold the salt, and dancing till the break of dawn. I should say the key words being "used to." These days, living on the edge means steeping my decaffeinated tea more than five minutes and going to bed at nine thirty which I consider way past my bed time.

“The old Shellie’s back.” Sophia had repeated what her husband was so clearly jubilant about. It was the day after Tim and Karen’s pre-wedding celebration and the day of their wedding. An offensive sour odor wafted, there next to the bed a stock pot and the waste basket lined with plastic. My organic 800 thread count Donna Karan European sham stained with last nights cosmetic debacle. My brain throbbed and my head spun. I partied like it was nineteen ninty nine the night before, throwing down shots of chilled patron one after another, regardless of my tolerance which was the immense size of a germ.

Angela entered the bedroom with frightful treats, “okay who wants an egg mcmuffin?” I was disappointed with myself. I had gone almost three years with no fast food. “Honey, you still have this from last night?” My sweet husband pointed to the brown burger king bag stale full of my blurred memory, “you didn’t touch it at all.” They both laughed. One of the many reasons why I don’t drink is my fascination for fast food. I shamefully ate my quicker picker dumper, hoping it would ease my spinning head and soak up the alcohol. The second helping of hash browns was not my saving grace.

“Okay, I gotta go get this shit to KJ,” Angela pointing to another McDonalds order, "before it gets cold." We thanked her for making a stop. I rolled over to appease my throbbing brain. It was that day in that dying moment that I realized my love for tequila and it’s fellowship had taken a back seat. This coming from a person that worshipped reposado and nothing but.

Since my pregnancy, I have grown accustomed to a glass of nice wine or glass of champagne. I enjoy the pace of grapes. Grapes never made me dance on a bar. Grapes never made me scratch my head in wonderment as to where that large bruise on my arm came from. Grapes never made me the center of a manwich or womanwich on a dance floor. Grapes is the marijuana of the alcohol phenomena. Perhaps, grapes was behind my altruism. I needed an instant demise stat.

The Carrs wedding occurred last October. Since then I’ve been the virgin mary, determined to return to my orignal weight prior to my pregnancy. My healthy life style has ruled as the tyrant overlord, dismissing any want to veer off the health kick. What have I become? I look forward to a good night's sleep so I could have a great work out the next day. Friday nights I toss and turn with excitement for Saturday's farmers market at the ferry building. I've become obsessed with finding the best sparkling mineral water on earth. A mani pedi is my pint of ice cream. I am a cardio addict looking to break my weight record. I am "that" person that weighs out my meals on an electronic scale. I have become an anal retentive cardio hog caloric counter freak magic. The thought of a shot of tequila made my waist line cringe.

Lately, I've been feeling a bit empty. I am a party girl drop out. I realized that I haven't had "obnoxious drunken" fun in almost two years! No wonder, I was feeling lost! I had lost a part of myself somewhere between pregnancy and motherhood. I concocted a date with a bunch of my chicas tomorrow night. This is the new Shellie telling the old Shellie to liven the shit up.

This is Shellie “stirred” not shaken back to you Bob at the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment