Friday, December 09, 2005

Christmas is Coming!


Christmas is my all time favorite holiday. Christmas is like warm chamomile wrapped in cashmere. From the cold crisp air to the scent of the Christmas tree to the warmth of a fireplace to the department store display windows, it’s definitely my favorite time of year. It helps me to overlook matters that are absolutely trivial like who invented sugar cubes and where do sugar cubes come from? Instead, I reflect on what is conducive to a happy lifestyle, perhaps another pair of wedge heels before they go out of style next season.

Flashback: A week before Christmas, I was a senior in high school and I couldn’t wait to bust loose from this small town mentality. The rage against all conformity was at full blast. I spat on corporate capitalism and the U.S. Government. I despised fashion and cigarettes. My first boyfriend was an athiest irish punk rock kid with a six inch mohawk whose mom's been married seven times. Finally, I refuted the birth of Christ and all his miracle whip. Mom attempted an indirect exorcism and prayed to Jesus and all his cronies to chase the evil that grows in my heart like a black weed.

Shane has come to loath the holidays. He can’t see beyond the assault of shopping madness. Secondly, he's allergic to previous engagements, hence the succession of christmas events really cramps his style for spontaneity. He suffers from "Giftolitis" which come with a trainwreck of symptoms such as abdominal discomfort, tightness in the chest, diziness, frequent urination, the inability to concentrate, insomnia all due to the pressure of finding the perfect gift and getting it shipped out on time. The pressure he puts himself under? It's amazing he's still regular much less seize the spirit of Christmas. As my mom always said, "it is not about the gifts, it's about the birth of Christ." I'm not a full hundred percent about the birth of christ, but I concur on the the gift aspect.

I am hoping that I can provide Shane the luxury of peace of mind this year and years to come.

Lesson: Grasshopper, always stand upright like cardboard when standing stark naked in the falling snow and it will warm your heart forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment