Thursday, December 22, 2005

Dance Fever


Cardio is one of the vital exercises that contribute to weight loss. I wrestle with my metabolism which seems to be winding down like a wheezing tortoise with a flat. I determined not to be those wives that allow themselves to get tubby just because they agreed to love through thick and thin and for better or worse. I am going to keep fit for as long as I can, because as soon as I start popping out those snot nosed ankle biters, it’s all down hill. I want to savor the morsels of being fit and slender and in control, because muthahood is right around the corner and than I will declare war on my kids and my body fat.

I’ve been taking hip hop classes three to four times a week for the past two months. Personally, I have fallen head over heels with the art. I would never have thought in a thousand dog years that I’d be taking dance lessons. It helps me to focus! Muscle memory versus living in my cerebral temple. Muscle memory occurs when we practice things enough times until we can do them automatically, without conscious thought. See each move and tick includes simultaneous leg, hand, head, booty movement in counts of 8 seconds. A mere hesitation on your next move, and you will find yourself blurred in a whirlwind. Not only is it challenging, but it allows me to embrace the fact that it’s totally chic to be imperfect. The first few weeks, I was definitely a loaf. Just when I thought I knew my left from my right and up from down as sure as the sky was blue, I was a dexlexic defect. Literally. For some odd reason, I did everything backwards or opposite. All due to analyzing the next move in my cabeza.

Secondly, it’s amazing to be surrounded by a medley of styles and impressions. My favorite aspect of hip hop is that your allowed to put your personal pizzaz on the basic moves. Your allowed freedom, yet in synchronicity. The adults that attempt to keep up with modern culture speckle the mesh of dancers. There’s a few children in the mix bumping and grinding to the provactive lyrics as their parents watch on from their seats. The two front lines are the spotlighters young, fresh and feisty their ghetto fabulous gear bling, strutting their “I wanna be a backup Usher dancer” attitude.

I found comfort in the last row, but soon realized that I could never see the instructor, which explained why I was always lost. Eventually the teacher eased me to switch lines and move forward, but I was a like a tick on a dog’s back, I wouldn’t budge. Are you kidding? I didn't want to at my reflection in the mirror doing all these fly moves. A month and half flew by and I’ve removed the cobwebs from my confidence cabinet and moved forward two rows up to the far left of the room. In the past two weeks, two teachers had pat me on the back on my progress as if I had just been potty trained. In a room of about thirty dance maniacs, I didn’t think that they’d notice.

I would highly recommend a hip hop class to anyone young or old. It deflates stress and puts a smile on your face. It increases your heart rate. It's hot and sexy. It triggers laughter. What is better than shaking your booty at the end of a long hard day? I feel that humans should dance and laugh more, it will bring them eternal joy and a slim waistline!

Lesson: Grasshoppers always remember that line dancing are for maggots and leave the jitter to the bugs and the hop to the bunnies, but always remember that determination is for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment