Monday, April 03, 2006

The real truth...


Can I just say that we experienced our first freak mingling with parental degredation. We attended our next door neighbors two year old birthday party and talk about snobs. Besides our sweet neighbors, the other parents were creepy. Stepford creepy. The first question, "Do you have children?" When we responded with a simple "no" and proud about it. We were given the smug treatment. What's up with that?

I was quite perturbed. Irrirated. My first experience with childless discrimination. Not only is it tacky for parents to showcase their child, but it's so cold. Sure be proud, but don't be a self righteous schmuck. How tall is your child? How many months is your child? Her motor skills are so advanced. Pukarama! The dads looked beat down. The mom's were vainglorious. I tried my best to socialize, but it was a circus.

I made Shane swear that we never turn into these yuppie parents that has lost themselves in the goodness of their children, gutted like a dead fish. Is there a way of avoiding this type of behavior? Are we as individuals making up for what we lacked as a child? If so, when is it too much? Is there a balance? Thus, I do not subscribe to the "give your children what they want" philosphy. You could invest in the best philosphy of childraising, hence it does not guarantee that children will result correct. There is no such thing as perfect. I am especially proud of how Shane and I were raised. We take from our parents the sense and goodness and will make it our own.

Lesson: Grasshopper should allow loved ones to rule hearts, but not the television remote control.

No comments:

Post a Comment