Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Book it


In appeal to my hectic schedule, I introduce a literature circle (a fancy term for the nerdum; Book Club). Originally I thought it would be leverage for girl time, but in a tailspin it evolved into something meatier. The group has immensely grown involving not just women. I am excited to hear everyone’s perspective to the first read. The objective to this nerd forum is to hone my love for a good read.

In my junior year in high school, Mrs. Sabado quizzed us on the thought process of poets and writers. As an adolescent, deconstruction of literary pieces was moot. How dare I attempt to analyze the great minds of Homer, Byron, Carroll, Poe, Shelley, and Keats. I was just a mild acne waif invisible to her classmates. I guess that was the point to my teacher’s responsibility, trigger critical thinking, but at the time there were stronger forces in play like the furies of being a teenager. Decades later I circle that square, because here I am hosting my first deconstruction.

I picked up the book this past Tuesday. I have managed to wedge my reading to and from work with my head in the book. One must be very careful when reading and walking so as to not step into a tree or a building. Although I accomplished most of my reading on the stair machine on level eleven interval steps. I am that lonely geek on the cardio machine obliviously sopped with sweat, meanwhile enthralled by words, foreshadow, paragraphs, and similes.

Saturday is our first gathering to discuss Love in the Time of Cholera. I am excited to be among different levels of people discovering the different facets of the work. Mrs. Sabado’s face would be ablaze with joy, if she knew that she was the only teacher that harmonized my love for words.

This is Shellie claiming books are not the enemy back to you Bob at the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment