Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Nanny Can


Nannies. San Francisco is a haven for them. The good ones are in high demand like the flawless cut. You see them everywhere pushing trendy strollers on the sidewalks of the neighborhoods of San Francisco. On a weekday, they travel in packs and meet at the playground guffawing about the parents outlandish demands. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes: college graduate, teenager, elders, bilingual, no lingual. One could even set up a nanny share, if one is financially strapped. The options are endless. Some nannies run equivalent to a mortgage payment and that’s cheap. Some are blessed with the advantage of a bay area grandparent, we have a Mary. I know there are some haters out there. I can feel the pride strong bitterness, but to bitch his own.

As much as I wanted to stay home with my little precious, we decided back in September that we would move ahead with the plan. Mary, nanny extrodinnaire, is no exception. She came recommended by one of Angela’s client. She is a god send. I prefaced a spanish speaking nanny as it is vital that he is immersed in two different languages. From the second she sets foot in the house, she is in work mode. As she changes his diaper and gets him ready for the day, she sings nursery rhymes in Spanish. This ritual lasts a good fifteen minutes, because Hunter’s flipping over on all fours and causing havoc. She is even keel and patient. We interviewed a good amount of nannies, she was the only one that was genuine and trust worthy.

She takes him on walks in golden gate park or the zoo, singing class, reading time at the library. On top of her commitment to Hunter, she manages to keep our home stunning. Our home has never been so immaculate. Upon opening the front door to a beaming bathed baby and holding him in my arms, I observe an orderly home. His crib is neat, the kitchen is tidy, the bedrooms are spotless. Miraculously, our laundry is put away. I go to hang my coat in the closet and realize that each pair of shoes are lined up in orderly fashion. It’s insane.

I am grateful for Mary. She has made our house a home and has placed Hunter in the center of her universe. If I were a stay at home mom, I wouldn’t be able to pull it off. I could care for my child, but the housekeeping would be disastrous. After seven years, she finally made permanent U.S. citizenship and is in Columbia for two and a half months visiting her family. I have grown very fond of her and consider her a part of our family, in her absence she is greatly missed.

This is Shellie in her own orbit back to you Bob at the studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment