Monday, February 11, 2008

Will Work for Food


My month of no meat has come to an end. It wasn't the master cleanse, nonetheless, it was difficult. Although I have faltered a little throughout the month of January, I continue my stride towards eating healthy. Fresh, seasonal, and organic, I try my best to integrate a little more raw vegetables into our meal. Albeit, my husband would highly oppose as he would rather chew on gristle than have another meal consisting of seafood. For weeks now, he has been dreaming of a nice luscious medium rare rib eye bone in. Gasp, steak on my ever cinching waistline? How dareth thy foul words from thine sweet lips.

San Francisco has fed my fervor for food. With different fresh and new restaurants sprouting all over, it’s hard to not dig in. I have vowed to keep our dining down to zilch, I find myself making reservations at the new and upcoming restaurants such as Conduit, Laiola, Serpentine, Spruce. Worse off, I have my arsenal of repertoire: Ame, Bouchon, Range, Bar Tartine, Salt House, 1550 Hyde, and Boulettes Larder. I can’t help it. It’s like an addiction, “the need to feed.” I feel that by staying home, I’m missing out on the life’s culinary pleasures. The beauty in food is flourishing all over the bay area, and I can’t sit at home without labeling myself fifty one fifty.

“Worthless people live only to eat and drink; people of worth eat and drink to live.” –Socrates


One can not eat out every day, technically you could, but why? Once I entered culinary school, it pried my eyes wide open to the craft. I continued onto cooking restaurants, I quickly realized I didn’t know poop about food. As I was destined to move to France to further hone my ardor, marriage happened. Quel dommage! Until than, cooking is my therapy. If I’ve had a long arduous day, a normal person would start a warm bath. On the contrary, I spend a good one to two hours whipping up a three course meal for Shane. I immerse myself into a world of seasonal ingredients and simplicity. I slice, brunoise, mince as different sized pans sizzle, the oven is preheated, pots simmer, and the house gradually permeates my culinary orchestration. The pulse of our home is in the kitchen; of course the bedroom comes a very close second.

Enjoying the finished product is difficult when our dining table is collecting dust in our garage. My enjoyment is lulled when confined to eating on our couch. The evil and vile couch, because our nursery has replaced our dining room. There’s something beautiful enjoying a meal at a table. Preparing a meal together and sitting down at a table, enjoying it with loved ones makes for a remarkable experience. Substance. Thus, we have come full circle. Dining out should never be a sin.

“There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.” Mahatma Ghandi

No comments:

Post a Comment