Thursday, August 03, 2006

Cool it...off!

Hawaii is hot, but the luxury of the ocean breeze and the beaches makes a mad mood of a difference. This condition is aggressively torrid and is certainly to test temper and patience. As the news buzzed of record high temperature, we landed in New York at 97 degrees at 7:45am. Firstly, suckered by a backdoor town car driver that charged $15 more than a taxi from JFK. We weren't coerced, just dumb. Secondly, my monthly visitor arrived, bloating my body to record proportions. Nevertheless, we made it safe into Greenwich in timely fashion, two hours. We were on vacation so what was the purpose in fussing. Despite the dupe, we were thrilled to be in the city. A slice of pizza, hot dog with the snap, gyro, array of restaurants, Guggenheim, Central Park, and discount shopping square danced in my head. If you didn't know it yet, I live for food and I die for shopping.

Shellie's Proverb: To test fate is to travel with a loved one.

We tried to defeat the insufferable swelter by any means possible. Most important, we were to avoid the subway as the stench and people were both unfriendly. We chose the way of the sidewalk, because taxi's were conducive to laziness. In two hours my flip flops were doing wonders, aching feet and all, I drank two bottled waters, lapped a french vanilla ice cream cone, hastily shoved shave ice into my mouth (before it went liquid), quenched my thirst with a cherry italian ice. I shouldn't have to mention all the boutiques and shops that housed the refreshing air conditioner. Why doesn't america celebrate Willis Haviland Carrier with a holiday? Without him, I'd be a psychotic sweaty hunchback of a human.

Soon to follow -and very mandatory- a bar with a front patio on Allen. We sat on a picnic bench, as the locals hovered indoor under the cool crisp air conditioner like cave men. As steam came off my greasy head, I fought the affliction of my sweaty skin draped in scantly damp clothing, I quickly ordered a nice refreshing Cuban drink which the heat quickly transformed into mint rum tea. Nonetheless, Shane downed Corona's like a frat. I longed for an ice cold shower, but alcohol seemed to be my only option to enjoy this tyrant heat.

Lesson: Young grasshopper must gain perception by following the way of the sun.

3 comments:

  1. That's the east coast for u! Welcome back. Missed u.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you fry an egg on the sidewalk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. cocktails. you made the best of the situation

    ReplyDelete