Thursday, August 10, 2006

Game Face


We were back home, and enjoying every minute of it. The average weather in San Francisco has been amazingly in the 80s. Sitting on the couch enjoying the sailboats on the bay. It is nice to be home. We are gradually returning to our daily routine which includes work, boxing, and Davies Hospital to see Jonny.

Jonny is looking and doing remarkably well. It was just in July that he suffered a stroke and 2 brain surgeries. A true miracle. He is in a vigorous rehab program and is speaking, eating, even moving his right leg. In his attempt to articulate his thoughts, he laughs when he is not getting through to us. His sense of humor and patience are evidence that he is progressing. I honestly believe that the volt of positivism generated by friends and family was a big factor in his recovery. We were optimistic. The hospital has not seen anything like it. I mean the outpour of support was extremely and positively overwhelming. It is tidal.

Shellie’s Proverb: Kindness is greatness.

Vacation took its toll the day I returned to workout at the boxing gym. I could barely jump rope for a few minutes much less 15. I was in a complete mess. As my chest tightened, I felt my Achilles tendon was going to snap. I barely got through the cardio section which was a breeze before I left for vacation. I went from working out 4 days a week to scraping the bottom of the barrel. All my months of hard work, straight down the drain.

Vacation is like the video game Frogger. One second I’m lackadaisically daydreaming downstream on a log. The next, that leisurely log ride turns into a frenzy of dodging cars, otters, snakes and the occasional crocodile. Life keeps you on your toes. A constant flux. Ebb and flow. “Keep up,” I tell myself, "Pick up the pace." Zap. Just like that, my vacation was over.

Lesson: A wise Grasshopper must be pliable like the branches on a bamboo tree.

4 comments:

  1. ribbit, ribbit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Europe has 3 months off, them lucky buggars. They don't work anway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. work sucks, get a sugar daddy or hit it rich somehow

    ReplyDelete
  4. we're all a bunch of frogs ribbit

    ReplyDelete