Monday, January 15, 2007

Fade to Fad


It's the new world baby order. These days women nest. These days babies get their own room filled with toy debris. These days parents spoil their kids in attempts to fullfill the emptiness of their own childhood. Well, except for my husband, because he's had every toy made by mankind. In a world full of dizzying material pressure, when do I say, "stop!"

We, well more I, started browsing for baby essentials. I wanted to start now while I'm still mobile and patient. The online world is decadent and mischievous. In a world of material things, I realize that I am keeping up with the Jones(s). From the
Bugaboo stroller
going for $800 and the endless baby crap, I begin to wonder, if it is all about me and less about Kitchstar. I grew up in the days where babies slept in dresser drawers stuffed with sheets for the first couple months. The fortunate ones with cribs well you were a rockstar. These days a baby in a dresser drawer would be considered child abuse. Damn you social services.

Besides the basic crib, changing table, and stroller, I'm being hit with a list of ridiculous absurdities. A must have list like diaper bags, gliders, bassinets, jogging stroller, swings, bouncers, baby bjorn, and play yards. It is all too much for me. Could it be that I'm suffering from a metropolitan syndrome called yuppie? Does the baby require all of this? I have become a victim to my own environment and I am embarassed. Damn you Potrero Hill! Sheesh, imagine if I lived in Noe Valley or the Marina,? I'd be in a world of hurt!

Shellie's Proverb: The Ford Pinto rocking the spinners is still a Pinto.

How did I get here? When did I transform into such a fluppie? The BMW X5 really doesn't help my image. Huff, I've worked hard to get where I am. There's nothing wrong with having nice things, especially when I've worked hard for it. Hence, I can spend it anyway I please. I think the same goes for anyone. I started from the bottom. The same goes for any hard working individual that started from the bottom and worked their way through.

If you possess the drive, than why not? In fact, slumming it in the kitchen for $8/hour after taking a $100K+ paycut surely transformed me into a humble person. It's not like I'm sitting at home plopping bond bonds, playing the Superlotto, and sucking the blood from my husband's income. Good grief, no! But, the idea sounds beautiful. Besides, there's nothing wrong with being a lazy turd. My envy goes out to you awesome turdies.

Suddenly, I was feverishly taken over...I apologize for the baby detour. It's more about the parent's attempt to ease the mind: translation: hmmm, what will keep this kid quiet? Parent's are willing to donate their liver to make sure their child is comfortable and healthy. Besides, babies sprout faster than weeds in the summer time, and in sprouting, these trendy gadgets become null.

It is our duty as parents to fulfill the safety and health of little Kitchstar. Simple and clean. The cost of a stroller or any newfangled gadget is indifferent when it all comes down to true purpose. I am a sucker for marketing. The first time I saw a bottle of Voss, I snagged that sucker regardless of the price. Who cares look at that fabulous bottle! That is me in a nut shell. I am a person that is susceptible to packaging. I am a marketer's wet dream. Now, that a child is on the way, I have to be extremely careful. I have to think of the child's benefit and forget about the dernier cri. It's a great plan. It's a start. It's a change.

Lesson: In order for wise grasshopper to achieve Nirvana, it must always write his name on his underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment