Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sugar Baby


As the myriad of doctors appointments pile up, I'm thankful for having such outstanding medical benefits. As my gestational diabetes is being ruled by a strict thumb, so the need to skirt my diet is mandatory. I had an appointment with a dietician and diabetic counselor today. Formerly, a student of Nutrition 101, I never found the need to apply it to my life. Does anyone assimilate chemistry into their daily? Exactly.

In the depths of my mind, I was convinced my lab work was confused for another. I had a chip on my shoulder the size of Jupiter. I deserved an apology gosh darnit, for wasting my time. I couldn't have developed this condition, I have been actively fit and managed a fit diet. There goes the delusional part of me again. Who cares that my parents are diabetic?

Sylvia, diabetic counselor, reviewed the blood test and provided the numbers. The numbers which pertain to the time it takes for my body to process glucose within three hours. The numbers weren't gold medal, it was no medal. The chip on my shoulder was just crunched. "Any person could develop diabetes?" Sylvia went easy on my pride, but my pride had nothing to do with my health. I was predisposed.

We moved on to diet, I had no worries as I strived for excellence in that category. Organic, free range, cage free is the way of the Lord, but nutritional fact is holier than thou. I was in for a nutritional awakening. As I sat upright on my tall organic box, it was quickly kicked from under me when the truth was finally revealed. The vital ingredient to be weary of, regarding the nutritional fact, were carbohydrate and sugar. Funny, I was always steered towards the calories and the fat calories.

Basically, organic or non organic, carbohydrates is still Satan in my blood. I was further cultured on the daily food pyramid along with entails what to eat, per meal, per day. Shackle and chain, I'm now in a prison. No milk or fruit in the morning (it turns into sugar). Worse, no cereal. This is a travesty! My world is spinning backwards. I keep looking on the bright side of things, that's the only way I'll get through it. My meals, mainly lunch and dinner, incorporates fruit, bread/starch, carbohydrate, fat, milk, and protein. Apparently, when all these foods are introduced to my blood system, it takes awhile to breakdown as opposed to simply introducing just two food groups into the blood. It's a hemoglobin diversion. I assumed that carbohydrates would be omitted, but I was wrong...again. On top of everything else, I have 3 snacks that are wrenched into my meals. Phew, will my days compass my eating habit?

Shellie's Proverb: A hog that rules the trough is worth eating.


The big cherry, the sprinkle and the nuts, the dollop of whip cream and all the guck, is that I have to gauge my blood glucose four times a day by way of finger pricking. Four times! Pricking.....Painful.....Four Times! I loathe finger pricking! Eeeeek Gadz! Here I am face to face with a prick. First prick is taken before all meals and the rest are taken an hour after breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I was provided with a kit with an electronic reader, blood strips, spiffy prick gadget, needles, and a container to dispose of my needles. High maintenance? Gulp. Exactly. The objective to this game is to score a glucose count of 130 and below.

Double gulp. She did the honors as I cringed like a kitten in a corner ready to pounce. She promised that it would be harmless, but so is a blood sucking tick. I gave into her prick, she inserted the blood onto the strip which read 148, the goal is to reach 130 or below. "Damn you whole wheat organic blueberry turd." I cursed under my breath. I was appalled. No, I was shocked! No, I was shockingly disappointed. How could this be? Shane and I had just gone shopping on Sunday and filled our pantry with organic goodness. The counselor advised that there's lots of sugar and high carbohydrate in everything. So I shouldn't be fooled with packaging and marketing. The only reassurance is the nutritional factoids. You'd be surprised as to how much carbohydrates and sugar are in yogurt, unless it's plain and even than. She kicked dirt in my face. I couldn't believe my ears. Here I was a high snooter with my nose in the know it all, only to find out I didn't know diddy. Damn you glucose. I curse you and that sugar coated cookie you rode on!

I went straight to Rainbow, hippie co-op, to carry out my duty to be healthy. There I was in the bread aisle reading the nutritional facts like a psychotic obsessed carbohydrate counter. I was consumed by labels of organic and quickly picked them up only to find that the carbohydrate count was astounding. Finally, after sorting through the entire bread section there it was the no wheat, no glucose, organic, and weighed like a brick with a perfect carbohydrate count of 13.5 grams. I was in heaven. Onto the yogurt, I perused each shelf reading the back of each container like a I was hooked on phonics. I was truly astonished by the nutritional fact and how much sugar and carbohydrates were in these yummers. Death defying. I had no idea. None in the world. I settled for the Saint Benoit plain Yogurt as the nutritional value was the best.

Between my soap box and the chip on my shoulder, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. In a matter of a week, my eating lifestyle has been turned topsy turvy. I must make amends to make sure I don't endanger Kitchstar. I need to snip this at the stem. Cest la vie ice cream sundae. Whah. Sniffle. Sob. Maybe I'm too strict on myself. All in moderation I keep telling myself. But, could moderation possibly compromise the baby? For now, I'll be fighting this diabetes through my food intake.

Lesson: Grasshopper must lay gentle on the bed of nails to overcome all hostilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment