Friday, January 19, 2007

Hard to Fit Genes


As I have been peculiar about eating ridiculously healthy, despite the closet ice cream sundae that I have become accustomed to sneaking, I was just notified by Dr. Sue McDonald that I have developed gestational diabetes. After suffering from drinking that putrid orange glucose matter and giving blood on the hour for the next three hours, it never occurred to me that I could be victim to the medical condition. Apparently, it's common in the top 2 to 7 percentile of pregnant women. As I hectically browse through my books and google trying to resolve this condition, I realize that I am genetically screwed as both parents are diabetics.

The women on the other end of the line lectures me to steer clear of juices and sodas, I remind her that it is not part of my repertoire. She than tells me to refrain from fruit. That is a very vague generalization, "What kind of fruit?" As I enjoy my morning breakfast with strawberries, rasberries, blueberries, banana, apples. I mean she might as well advise me to stop breathing oxygen. What am I supposed to eat instead? I will have to wait till next week's appointment at the Diabetes center for the educational low down. I'll probably have to meet with a dietician which will be pretty nifty. I keep reminding myself that it could be worse. I could be in bed rest with a hemmeroid the size of a hibiscus. If I'm proactive and watch what I eat...whah... no more ice cream sundaes...and increase my exercise, I should be okay.

Shellie's Proverb: Constipation is all about diet over matter.


Thus far, my pregnancy has been darling. From the narcoleptic episodes to the discovery of Kitchstar's movements, I'm whizzing through my second trimester like a kid at an arcade. Although all good things must come to an end. As I blew my sciatica out from simply sneezing while standing up, it has taken my acupuncturist, yoga, pilates and masseuse to manage this monster. It's better loads now, but look where a simple sneeze will get you. No complaints from Mrs. Kitchen, but you may want to inquire with my better half. He may tell you otherwise. Smile.

Lesson: A grasshopper that accepts his flaws won't mind drinking cold tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment