Friday, June 23, 2006

Homeful


We're in the process of renovating our house into a home. We're not talking tiling the tub and replacing porcelain for stainless steel sinks. It is never that simple. Sometimes, I wish it were. Each house is a royal upheaval of sorts and this one is the mutha of all muthas. Since this will be our permanent home, I am finally excited to partake in the process.

In San Francisco, we are required to go through the planning department before proceeding with the work. Sometimes the planning department rejects the proposed plans and revisions occur and so on and so forth. Fabian, our architect and designer, has just given us the thumbs up from the planning department. So far, so good. I have never been one for the so called dream home with white picket fence, garden, patio and all that jazz. Realistically, I always saw myself as a renter for life. Nothing more and nothing less.

Shellie's Proverb: A hammer is useless without nails.

In any case, the renovation is so horrendous such as gutting the inside and converting the current bathroom into an office, a new kitchen where the fireplace is, dining room where the kitchen is, dropped floors into a new living room, boxed out roof, twelve to fifteen foot extension of the home, walk in closets, relocate the fireplace, possibly add an outdoor fireplace, three additional bathrooms, additional master bedroom, guest bedroom, reading room, widen the garage door and driveway. Phew.

What is invigorating, and it blows me away, is Shane's a genius when it comes to tackling this project. It is miraculous to witness the birth of a home. There's a crack in my brain just thinking about it. The fact that he is passionate and it is reflected in his craftmanship and efficiency. I've witnessed his talents of gutting and rebuilding and it is truly a sight to see. My boy got skills! He is so bad ass! I love it! The true love is when this home is done, we will not flip it. I am relieved, because it is a bag of dirt to have to sell a beautiful home. In the past, I've learned to not become attached to these top notch homes. That alone is very difficult.

So as soon as the plans are approved, we will have to move two more times. Crossing my fingers and than it is nirvana! I absolutely can't wait till this is over, because it's been a long time coming.

Lesson: A young grasshopper must always succumb to traveling, and he will learn that home is the journey and not the destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment