Monday, May 08, 2006

Home Design


The final house plans were submitted. Hallelujah! Thank the Lord! Praise Jesus and all his dudes! I am truly amazed with the talented individuals that have a keen eye for floor plans such as Uncle John and Fabian. Wow! One walk through the property and "pop" ideas begin to bubble as fast as I lose brain cells. Our version of renovation is not replacing a shower head, changing the tiles in the shower, adding a granite backsplash behind the stove. On the contrary, it is a facelift. A close encounters of the Joan River kind such as boxed out roof, extending out, dropped floors, relocating the fireplace, additional bathrooms and bedrooms, walk in closets, transplant the kitchen. That is just plain phrenetic! I mean I know autocad, but you don't see me whizzing through plans like Mr. T does gold chains.

I have come to embrace the oddities of the house. Our peptobismol bathroom or as I like to call it the New York studio. This bathroom is the mothership when it comes to ridiculous. The coral toilet coupled with coral tub faces three large bay windows. The room measures 14 x 16 so you can imagine the awkward spaciousness while sitting on the can. I feel like I'm floundering in the bathroom. It feels like a crime! I am accustomed to a cozy bathroom. Something you can simply slip into, like a silk nightgown. The kitchen is dressed with retro vintage wallpaper. Yes, and the word grandparents always comes to mind. The living room and kitchen ceiling is spined with a reinforcement beam that runs from the front of the house to the back of the house. Although the view from the living room and bed room is in truth, dazzling.

Shane and I are adapters. We have shifted to different shelters and environments in the past five years. From Lucky Street, the crack and fecal lane that homed the individuals that could use some luck, to the peak of Cole Valley on 17th Street. Having to exist in a rhythm from a single family home to a one bedroom back to a single family home is pretty much a deranged experiment. It takes a lot of adjusting to harmonize to this chaos. There's been many times where the thought of rampage have crossed my mind, but even tempered Shane was always there grounded as a tick on a dog.

Shellie's Proverb: A dog's bite happens quicker than his bark.

So once again, I relive the hard work of Shane's back and hands. As he composes our house into a home. So once again, I look foward to the wrath of the future. Picture a whopper of a woman struggling into a size zero prom dress and that is our mortgage. Gulp and double gulp. Yikes. Stay tuned.

Lesson: A humble grasshopper is one that forfeits his house to strangers to fulfill a palatial home in his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment