Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Shoe Fits


As I waited for the elevator, some nosy woman rambles, "How many shoes did you buy?" Soon followed by another snoop, "Geeze is there like ten pairs of shoes in there?"

If blushing was evident on my dark skin, my cheeks would be on fire. I rebutted that the sale was outlandish. Personally, I was pleased of my thrifty sense! Two hundred fifty for five pairs of boots. Are you kidding? One pair of beautifully hand crafted boots usually go for that price. Why was I embarrassed? Was it because I could feed twenty towns in India with the amount spent? Was it one boot too many? Was it because the box was the size of Oprah's salary?

Meanwhile, the elevator was a roller coaster ride. A business man blurted in astonishment, "Now, that's a big box of shoes! I thought my wife had a problem." A remark of Imelda Marcos came from the back corner. All of a sudden, I was the size of an ant and shrinking. I was curious, "How do you guys know it's shoes?"

In unison they said, "Zappos? Everyone knows Zappos."

Than conversations began to mingle about past purchases, wives addiction to fashion, and bargains. I couldn't wait for the elevator to touch down to the first floor so I could inobtrusively slither out.

Shellie's Proverb: Judge a shoe not by it's designer, but it's sole.

"Wow that is the largest Zappos box I've ever seen!" The UPS lady exclaimed as she scanned my box.
"Yep, boot sale." I handed her my box full of shame.

As I endured everyone's bewildered remarks, I had two beautiful pairs of italian boots waiting for me at home. This is the word according to Shellie. Amen.

Lesson: A nimble grasshopper must listen to silence before he can speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment